Friday, January 7, 2011

Weigh-in Eve


T’was the night before the first weigh in and no one was snacking
Trying to stay motivated but this weight-watcher was cracking.
Holiday candy was calling her name
Say “eat me, eat me and your weight will stay the same”.
But this girl was too clever to give into the chocolate trap
So instead an orange became her healthy late-night snack.

Tonight marks the end of week one and tomorrow morning I will have my weekly weigh in.  I’ve had a really good week (food-wise) and am hoping that I see a drop when I step on the scale.  I’m nervous though because I was sick and not able to get any activity in until today – amazing how much you can work lugging Christmas decorations to the basement J 

But I’m also worried that because I wasn’t eating all of my points everyday my body may have reacted negatively.  Weight Watchers stresses the importance of eating – not starving yourself – or eating less than your points because your body may think you are starving yourself and hold on to every ounce it can.
I haven’t really felt hungry this week – sure, as I get closer to dinner time I’m hungry but that’s normal. I think for the first time in a long time, I am really starting to understand and feel actual hunger.  I eat (or can I say, I used to eat) whenever I wanted, whether I was actually hungry or not. This week I’ve eaten real meals that included protein at EVERY meal.  I’ve had healthy snacks and even on my worst days of bronchitis this week, I had my all my fruits and veggies that I’m supposed to eat every day.
It hasn’t been easy but in the same breath wasn’t hard.  There were two nights this week when I was really craving chocolate.  And yes, I would LOVE to go dig into the chocolate candies that were in my holiday stocking at this moment but instead, those are going to the office on Monday. They won’t be filling my candy dish, however. Instead, I will drop them in other candy dishes.
I’ve been really proud of how much I’ve cooked this week.  I really like to cook and out of pure laziness and lack of love for self I would instead choose something quick and easy which usually means NOT healthy. 
In talking with my sweetie today I shared a very important realization.  Not once this week did I feel sick after a meal.  That is (or was) a very strong feeling after nearly every meal.  It was probably due to a few factors but mainly I was eating the wrong things and too much of them at any one time. 
At the beginning of this week, I really felt that my portions would be too small. Looking at the food on my plate, my first thought was: “this isn’t going to fill me up” – but instead of piling more on my plate to start with, I sat down and enjoyed the food.  And then, when finished, I cleaned up.  By the time I had the kitchen cleaned up (including washing all the dishes – no dishwasher in this house), I realized, I wasn’t hungry. 
A new feeling is waking up hungry.  I’ve never been much of a breakfast eater. Yes, I love breakfast foods but I don’t like to eat shortly after waking. Usually I’m up for a couple hours before having anything more than a cup of coffee.  Any weight loss program will stress the important of eating early in your day. It gets your metabolism going and also gives you fuel to face your day.
Every morning this week, I ate breakfast.  I’ve been boiling eggs (usually more than one day’s serving at a time) and enjoying two in the morning (two whites, one yolk).  The first couple mornings it was tough to choke it down since I usually feel awful in the morning.  But by Thursday and again today, I enjoyed my breakfast.
Every meal this week has included a protein. I never realized how much I wasn’t eating protein.  In talking with my sister, she shared that was one of her challenges and I really hadn’t thought about it. But this week, I’ve made sure to include a protein at every meal.  And I’ve found that the proper portion size of protein is enough.  And by including protein with every meal, I’m full longer. I don’t find that I’m hungry within an hour of eating a lot of calories.
I’ve been enjoying a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack of fruit or yogurt every day this week.  I’m very much on an orange kick right now.  I’ve been sick and am hoping that the Vitamin C boosts my immune system.
On Monday I purchased vitamins. I am terrible about taking my vitamins but I have taken it every day since Monday. I think it helps that there is place to check off that I took my vitamin on my WW online site. I’m a list maker and will add things to my list just so I can check them off so this tool definitely helps with that personality trait.  And when you fulfill an area (liquids, fruits/veggies/vitamin) you get a smiley face! I like that J
So even if tomorrow morning at the weigh in the number doesn’t change, I will still be proud of my week.  But I really really hope that I lost weight.  Turn into tomorrow for the results.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Michelle! I am beaming over here reading this post! You are doing awesome :) Staying healthy like that while being sick is no easy task. Stand proud my friend, you have rocked out this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are doing well so far! Good Job. Hope weigh-in goes well today and matches the effort you've put in so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Michelle!! Very proud of you and I enjoy reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete