Sunday, January 9, 2011

Temptations 0: Michelle: 1

So all the worrying was for naught.  On Saturday January 8th, I stood on the scale for my first official weekly weigh in.  As the scale calculated my weight I said a silent prayer – at least two pounds, please let me have lost at least two pounds.  When my weight finally registered and I looked down I was happy to see the results. Well, that’s not true, I was ecstatic. During my first week of WW, I lost 4.6 pounds. 
I was so thrilled that I let out a yell that scared both cats (who were present at the weigh in) and started jumping around in my bathroom.  And anyone that has been to my house and seen my tiny bathroom knows that celebrating in there is no easy feat. 
I was shocked!  And even still a day later can’t believe how well I did.  So yes, the 4.6 pound loss is AWESOME but what has been even better – I feel really good.  I’ve been enjoying my meals and not feeling sick afterwards. I have fuel for my body which is fueling my spirit.
To celebrate, I spent the day with my love and his children.  They are terrific kids even if it is difficult to chat with a 13 and 10 year old (but they are like that with everyone so I don’t stress about it).  We all went to a movie and I was so tempted to enjoy the popcorn but instead, I enjoyed the leftover apple from my lunch at Panera Bread.  Yes, I was teased by the kids – 10 year old Sarah kept trying to share the aroma of her popcorn with me… saying “it’s so good, don’t you want some”.  Yes I do kid so stop doing that!!  But I held strong and instead at about 45 minutes into the film, enjoyed my apple.  And I’m pretty sure they were thrilled that I was eating my apple in the dark so not to be that embarrassing to them. 
Later that evening we all went out to dinner at a local diner.  With some help from Chad, I figured out my best menu option. The waitress was great and worked with me to make the appropriate adjustments so it could be a meal I could eat. And it was yummy! Eating out is probably the hardest thing but it’s important to me that I still do go out and enjoy things like that… it takes more effort but it’s doable.
Today is Sunday and I enjoyed a really amazing service at church. We remembered our baptisms today and the message really touched me.  Afterwards, as is our custom, mom and I went to breakfast.  Well lunch actually.   Using my WW iPhone app I learned that my regular – ½ of a BLT and salad was a doable lunch.  Of course, I made a few substitutions (no cheese or croutons on the salad), no mayo on the sandwich and I 86’d the chips.  But the best part was – even with these changes my lunch tasted great and it felt like any other Sunday. 
So here I am, on week two and feeling good about myself for the first time in a very long time.  I’m going to savor this week’s victory and not get discouraged that I didn’t weigh in 50 pounds lighter already.  This is definitely a marathon, not a sprint and I’m going to enjoy the journey. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. You're doing it! Pretty soon you're going to need to spend some money on yourself because none of your clothes are going to fit. Great job!!! Keep it up, Mic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom!! I actually have a lot of clothes in every size - current all the way down to size 10 so I should be ok. But when I reach goal, I'm treating myself to something awesome. Not sure what it is yet but it will be great!

    ReplyDelete